Monday, February 17, 2014

Identity [ #LaterBlog ]

Empty bottles of wine litter the apartment floor....
Lipstick-stained wine glasses...
half braided blonde hair....
tattered clothing...

a tattered mind... thoughts, memories replayed...
struggling to forget what your heart can't seem to not remember
that feeling....
as misleading as it is
that feeling....

I went down south this past week... back home. To South Carolina, where my family dwells, to North Carolina where there's literally nothing there but road, trees, and tons of mobile homes.... a former one-high school, now two high-school town, that is all of 30-50 miles wide.... that is responsible for my childhood... That taught me who not to  be.... Poverty. Drug culture. Unprotected sex.... Babies, families, minimum wage existence... this is the reality of those... still in Harnett County... still in Spring Lake.. Lillington, Bunnlevel.

.. I couldn't shake the thought...  had I not left, who would I be?

But furthermore, because I left, who am I?...


No comments:

Post a Comment